Author: Anita Rani1 and Rupinder Kaur2
Author Address: 1Research Scholar and 2Assistant Professor Department of Economics, Punjabi University Patiala-147002
Keywords: Caste, education, family-type, housing facilities, rural labour.
JEL Codes: I21, I 31, J 11, J 12.
The present paper is an attempt to analyze the socio-economic profile of the labour households in rural Punjab. The study revealed that majority of rural labour households belonged to the scheduled caste category. As far as the distribution of sampled rural labour households according to the family type was concerned, it was found that 46.42 percent of the total rural labour households had nuclear families, while the remaining 53.58 percent have joint families. Majority of the rural labourers were living in semi-pucca houses. Further, if we look at the housing condition, 54.72 percent of rural labourers owned the houses of average condition, 40.19 percent owned good condition households and 5.09percent owned dilapidated houses. The analysis further showed that as many as 20.35percentof the sampled labour population was illiterate. A few persons from sampled labour households educated above matric. Although large majority of the sampled labour population were from the working-age group yet the ratio of dependents was high among rural labour households. This was due to lower employment opportunities in rural areas.
Indian Journal of Economics and Development
Volume 16 No. SS, 2020, 306-311
Indexed in Clarivate Analytics (ESCI) of WoS
Anita Rani1 and Rupinder Kaur2
1Research Scholar and 2Assistant Professor Department of Economics, Punjabi University Patiala-147002
Corresponding author’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org