Indian Journal of Economics and Development: Forthcoming Issue

Useful Links

Web Counter

Post-harvest farm operation losses in paddy-A case study of Kathua district


Mansoor Hussain



Indian Journal of Economics and Development
Year : 2013, Volume : 9, Issue : 4
First page : ( 356) Last page : ( 364)
Print ISSN : 2277-5412. Online ISSN : 2322-0430.
Article DOI : 10.5958/j.2322-0430.9.4.020

Post-harvest farm operation losses in paddy -A case study of Kathua District

Hussain Mansoor
Division of Agricultural Economics & Sociology, Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana, India. Email:

JEL Classificarion: Q10, Q 12, Q13, Q18, Q19

Online published on 26 November, 2013.

The present study was undertaken to estimate the losses of paddy during harvesting and threshing operations; to examine various types of storage structures used by the farmers for paddy and their storage losses and to study the loss of paddy during marketing by the farmer. The study brought out that 90 percent of the paddy area was harvested manually using sickle and the rest about 10 per cent with harvest-combine. The harvesting loss was high in case of sickle harvesting. In the case of paddy, the harvesting loss with sickle was 21.07 and 6.25 kg per acre for combine harvesting. The threshing loss of paddy was about 9 kg per acre. The study brought out that storage of paddy in kohl was the most common followed by bharola and metal bin. The storage loss of paddy for family consumption and seed was 1.86 and 1.55 per cent, respectively. The marketing loss of paddy 0.36 per cent respectively of the quantity sold.

Smiley face

Useful Downloads

News and Updates

  • Contents IJED 16(2) 2020

  • Proceeding of the General Body Meeting of TSOED
  • Hard copies, Indian J Econ Dev 16 (2), April-June, 2020 Dispatched